Last updated on June 22nd, 2021
This rustic soup was inspired by a CSA share gifted to us late in the fall. The bounty included carrots, parsnips, Swiss chard, fresh rosemary, onions, and three giant cloves of garlic. Vegetable stock and canned goods fill out the rest of this vegan soup. A combination of late-fall vegetables and pantry staples, it’s extremely easy to make. Chop some veggies, open some cans and you’re cooking!
- 2 carrots, medium chopped
- 3 parsnips, medium chopped
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, fire roasted, no salt added
- 4 c vegetable stock
- Up to 8 sprigs fresh rosemary, stem intact
- 2 15.5 oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves torn
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large pot over medium and add oil. When oil shimmers add carrots, parsnips, and onion and sauté for about 7 minutes. Add garlic, stirring for 30 to 45 seconds. Add tomatoes, stock, and rosemary sprigs. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and add beans.
Reduce heat a simmer and cook 25-35 minutes, until carrots and parsnips are tender. Remove rosemary sprigs. Stir in Swiss chard and add salt and pepper to taste.